Sunday, July 15, 2012

DIY | Barnwood Headboard

A few weekends ago, my wonderful husband made a headboard for our guest bedroom re-design! It turned out INCREDIBLE!!! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get a how-to post up, but better late than never right!

So this project was pretty much FREE!!!! And I LOVE free! Especially when I had to do this re-design on a VERY VERY tight budget. 

For the wood, I put the word out on Facebook that I was looking for some old barnwood. I had one friend from high school that told me she had some we could HAVE.  Just come and get it and it would be ours!!! How awesome is that!?!?!  Her husband's grandfather had torn down a barn and they had a bunch left.  So we loaded up and headed to their house to get the wood.  Thank you Emily!!!

The yellow paint we used was some that I had left over from a table I painted in our bedroom.  And we already had the nails. 

So.. here ya go!!

 
First, we washed all the boards and let them dry.  To get all the dirt, spiders, etc etc off of them.


Then, the hubby measured out these boards for the backing. 


And attached them to the wall.


Then for each of the board, we measured the same length, and the cut them.  Then we staggered them and nailed them into the backing boards.


When it came to drawing/painting the "love" on the boards, I first drew it out with chalk and then went over it, very slowly with paint.  Its amazing how hard old barnwood is to paint.  I am so glad I drew it on with chalk first!


And finally, here is the finished product!!!!!


I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! It turned out just perfect!!

I have since painted the two brown metal pieces hanging over the nightstand the same red that is in the bedding.  They look awesome now. 

Stay tuned for a post on the finished guest bedroom re-do.  I just need to get a rug and I'll be totally done!!

Thanks for checking out the blog and I hope this helped!! If you decide to make an old barnwood headboard for yourself, please let me see pictures =)

Until next time.....





1 comment:

  1. It looks awesome! I'm really impressed! You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete