Monday, July 2, 2012

The Pioneer Woman's Spicy Pop Pulled Pork

I made my first Pork Butt this weekend.  And it was pretty amazing.  Pretty much one of the greatest things I have ever tasted... and by far the best thing I have ever cooked.  I'm pretty proud of myself. 

My cousin Jill, her husband Rod, and their two kids came to visit.  What a blast we had!  But let me say.. IT WAS HOT HOT HOT outside.  So hot that we didn't go shopping, didn't sit on the back porch, didnt do ANYTHING. Seriously. My cousins are from Florida... sunshine, beaches, blue skies, you know the state where is is supposed to be hot.  They were even shocked at how hot it was here.  Even Abi had to do something about the heat....


Yep. That's Samson's kiddie pool that he NEVER uses.  It was just. that. hot.

So besides the fact that it was 150 degrees outside.  Well, at least thats what it felt like to us.  We still had fun just sitting around and visiting with each other. 

Since it was a special day and all I decided to make The Pioneer Woman's Spicy Pop Pulled Pork.  You can find it on her blog here. Brandon and I had seen her make this on her cooking show that comes on the Food Network every Saturday morning.  We bought a couple of pork butt's at Sam's Club a few weekends ago and I decided to make it for their visit. 

It is super easy to throw together  AND the Hubby bought me a new dutch oven which I am super stoked about! I love cooking with it... I want a few more in different sizes, but they are just so dang expensive...

But, back to the pulled pork...



Here's what you'll need:
*Pork Butt
*2 onions, quartered
*2 Cans of Dr Pepper
*Salt & Peppers
*A Can of Chipotle Peppers
*Brown Sugar

So preheat your oven to 300 degrees.  Take the pork butt and place it on a cutting board.  Salt and pepper both sides really well. Place the quartered onions into the bottom of the dutch oven.  Place the pork on top of the onions, fat side up. The pour your chipotle peppers on top.  Add 2 cans of Dr. Pepper.  The 3-4 tabelespoons of brown sugar (I put it on the sides of the pork, not on top).  Put your lid on and place in the oven.  You're going to bake it for AT LEAST 6 hours.  3 hours into it turn the pork over.  Then 2 hours later turn it back over and let it cook at least another hour with the fat side up.  Once its done, take it out, put it on a cutting board and shred the pork.  Skim the top of the liquid left in the pot to get some of the fat out.  The place the meat back into the liquid and serve. 

We ate it by itself, but you can put it on torillias, make a salad with it, nachos... the possibilities are ENDLESS...

It makes a TON. Seriously.  We could have fed probably 5 more people.  I will be keeping this recipe handy for football season =)

In other news..... the hubby built the headboard for the guest bedroom re-do.  The furniture is in as well as the bedding so I'll be posting all about that in the next few days!!! I can't WAIT to show you guys.  It looks AMAZING!!! Just like I wanted.  So just to tease you until I can post again... here's a picture of the bedding and the headboard.  Didn't he do a great job?!?!?!








1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say hello! I'm a new follower and found your blog from the bump. That pork butt recipe sounds so good! I will definitely be trying it.

    ReplyDelete