Tuesday, January 17, 2012

a little weekend DIY....

So I have really gotten into DIY lately... THANK YOU PINTEREST! haha! I have painted/distressed a table for my bedroom and now I feel like a pro! haha! NOT! But I did find a great tecnique to antique my kitchen cabinets.  I decided that the hubby and I would take on this project.  But I wanted to test it out first.  I saw a post on pinterest where someone had painted their pantry door an accent color.  Thus, my inspiration for this project!!

This was the door before... plain ole' boring!


So... took the door off the hindges, cleaned it with a magic eraser, took the knob and hardware off and dryed it really good.  Then I painted it with 2 coats of green paint (my kitchen colors are black and lime green).



After this dryed for a few hours, we began the process of "antiquing" it.  I picked up a bottle of antique glaze at Lowes when I picked out my paint color along with some cleaning rags.  Here is what you do with the glaze:

1.  Brush on really fast, in any direction that you want, you have about 3 or 4 minutes to work with this product.

2.  Take your cloth and begin wiping the glaze off.  You want to wipe in the same direction.  And you can leave more glaze in areas that you want to highlight...



after.

Doesn't it look great!!! Along with sweet Baby Samson... =)  I LOVE MY DOOR!! I need a new knob.. the brass just isn't cutting it.. and I'm also going to use my cricut to print "Panty" to put on the door as well.

So proud of my first antiquing project!!!!! Now onto my bathroom cabinets and antiquing the kitchen (dont worry, i'm not painting them green! hehe!)


No comments:

Post a Comment